RE: catwalk railing

I sure wouldn't want to walk on one that was designed for less. You should check your state's OSHA type regulations as well as the building code. Sometimes the OSHA requirements govern.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 8:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: catwalk railing

We are designing a catwalk and are wanting to spread out the railing posts as far as possible.  Do we have to follow the code prescribed 200 lb concentrated load or 50 plf uniform load... or are there any different requirements for catwalks?

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE

Structural Engineer & Vice President

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

319 North Main, Suite 200