Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 1:19 PM
Subject: RE: Mat Foundation

I would roughen the construction joints and extend the top and bottom mats of steel thru with a lap splice to the adjacent placement. (No additional dowels required.) I typically use up to a 40-ft spacing for construction joints, with at least #8(--nospam--at)12 rebar top each way to control shrinkage cracks for this thickness slab.

Although I haven't typically added extra steel at the joint as James Lutz suggested, I have often seen the phenomenon he talked about at walls placed on a foundation. The foundation slab restrains the base of the wall and causes periodic vertical shrinkage cracks for a few feet above the base of the wall. I've sometimes added additional steel near the base of wall to control such cracks, so the same concept makes some sense in a mat foundation, if you are concerned with having some minor cracking.