RE: Software, RAM-Autocad / Etabs-Revit

RAM:  I don’t know it well, but if your firm is traditional large scale steel and concrete with associated detailing in ACAD, then the RAM system is something that is already up and running.

Revit:  I’ve signed a non-disclosure agreement with them as perhaps you have, so can’t say much, but I will advise you to at least watch the developments, especially if your firm integrates structural and architectural information.

The role of computers in structural engineering has undergone big changes in each of the last decades, but we ain’t seen nothing yet.  Total integration of loads/members/connections/construction documents is the goal, and it’s going to happen sooner or later.  I run two monitors and at least 6 programs at once, with my calculator on the side, but somebody is figuring out how to integrate that, bit by bit.

An interesting development is the ability of non-engineers to engineer.  Truss/component designers are riding a wave of big software advances to perform more and more “engineering” each year, when they don’t know what’s driving the black box.  It’s hard enough for us licensed types to understand what’s going on inside the box.

Measuring the cheese,

Ed Tornberg

Tornberg Consulting, LLC

503-551-4165