Re: PEMB Tension Ties--was Nashville, TN area foundation help

On 4 Apr 2005 at 14:23, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> Michael L. Hemstad wrote:
>
> >A number of people have talked about lapping the hairpins into either
> >WWF, bars in the slab, or bars under the slab.
> >
> >ACI 318 (either 99 or 02), section 12.15.5, seems to prohibit this.
> >I suppose the prohibition could be taken as applying only to bars
> >specifically used for the tension tie, i.e. not slab bars, although I
> >don't read it that way.  We usually detail a welded splice using an
> >angle.  Since there aren't many of them, and the expense is in the
> >welding, I usually size them by the tie bar area times 60/36 (even
> >though both the rebar and the angle, in working stress terms, are
> >allowed to be stressed to 24 ksi).  We also allow a mechanical splice
> >as an option.  I stagger the laps; ACI 12.15.5 says a minimum of 30
> >inches, but I usually use 4 feet.
> >
> >I haven't done hundreds of PEM Buildings, so take that into
> >consideration, but I've run into trouble before in trying to use the
> >slab rebar. Usually someone wants a trench drain or machine
> >foundation or something like that; often 6 months after the building
> >is done, so I may not even find out about it.  And in my opinion,
> >using passive resistance might be iffy.  To really get full passive
> >resistance, you have to move the dirt quite a bit.  Then it rains, or
> >freezes and thaws, or somebody trenches in a lawn sprinkler pipe
> >along the building ("well, gee, I didn't want to tear up the sod")
> >and the building moves again. So, I calculate the required wall area
> >based on At-Rest pressure or a little more, and it takes 20 feet of
> >wall to resist the force.  Then I calculate the reinforcing for a 20
> >foot length of wall to behave like a beam, and it's huge, and I'm
> >back to tension ties.
> >

> That's interesting, as I've used the tie into wwf/spliced bar concept
> for my PEMB foundations.  Oddly enough, the commentary on 12.15.5
> seems to be of absolutely no help in determining.  One could easily
> argue that the in-slab rebar is completely in tension and  fully
> utilized. Their suggested examples of "arch tie" or "tenstion element
> in a truss" are applicable. However, their example of what is not -
> circular bands for hoop stress in a water tank - seems like the
> perfect case for this requirement, as they too are completely in
> tension and fully utilized, as well as being critical to carrying the
> load.  One might argue, as they have with the tension hoops in the
> tank, that the large number and close spacing of wires (in wwr) or
> rebar (in rebar-grid slabs), would be in the same category.  Also,
> single purpose rebar ties - whether below the slab or in the slab -
> would certainly be subject to this rule.
>
> As to your explanation of your standard, I have two questions. First,
> do you require A706 rebar for your ties, or do you let them weld A615
> in the field?  I honestly don't know the requirements for A615
> welding, except that there are special considerations, so I don't
> [...]

Jordan,

Up here in the Great White North (12" of snow over the wkd) it is
required by Code that the designer or another designated engineer
perform site reviews (observation in the US) and, if it is not in
accordance with the drawings, they are to notify the contractor,
owner and local building officials.

The problems arise when your design is not workable or there are on-
site conditions or problems which interfere.

Gary