From: "Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Vapor barrier with void form?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:27:48 -0400

I agree that painting the top of void form would be a waste of time.
However, one option we considered for a vapor barrier would be to place
the vapor barrier membrane over the top of the void forms - this would
permit the void form to deteriorate from the moisture below.

The membrane could be taped at the joints, but there still would be some
question as to how effective it would be after the void forms collapse.
This also would require the vapor barrier to be in contact with the
bottom of the concrete slab, as placing granular material above the
vapor barrier and void form does not seem practical. Thus, this is not a
great solution.

Another alternative we are considering is a sealer applied on top of the
concrete (below the tile floor finish), in lieu of a vapor barrier below
the concrete slab. We will discuss this option further with the tile
manufacturer.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO