From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:30 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Mortar Testing

Jim,

In addition to the reasoning that Bill gave (the fact that masonry units
will absorb water, which will lower the w/c ratio and thus increase
strength in the field and for prism tests...but not for mortar cube
tests), keep in mind that a typical mortart joint is only 3/8" thick.
This results in the mortar really being "confined" when loaded in the wall
assembly (and prism test), while it will be unconfined when tested as just
a mortar cube.  As a result, the actual infield strength of the mortar
when used in actual masonry construction is not really even closely
approximated by lab testing.

In addition, if I recall correctly, research testing has shown that
mortar strength has a relatively little impact on the overall masonry
strength.  The more important factors for mortar are good bonding
characteristics to the masonry units and workability for the masons (which
will effect things like the bonding)...plus a few others (like water
retentivity).

Thus, there is no need to determine the stregth of the mortar...and thus
there is no real testing procedure for field testing.  For ASTM C270, you
either specify it by Proportion or Property.  In either case, there is no
FIELD strength testing...the testing done per the Property specification
if lab testing only.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI