From: D. Woodham [mailto:dwoodham(--nospam--at)ana-usa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 2:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Mortar Testing

Bill,

>From ASTM C 270  (X1.6.3.2):

Perhaps because of the previously noted confusion regarding mortar and
concrete, the importance of compressive strength of mortar is
overemphasized. Compressive strength should not be the sole criterion for
mortar selection. Bond strength is generally more important, as is good
workability and water rententivity, both of which are required for maximum
bond.  Flexural strength is also important because it measures the ability
of a mortar to resist cracking.  Often overlooked is the size/shape of
mortar joints in that the ultimate compressive load carrying capacity of a
typical 3/8 in. (9.5 mm) bed joint will probably be well over twice the
value obtained when the mortar is tested as a 2 in. (50.8 mm) cube.  Mortars

should typically be weaker than the masonry units, so that any cracks will
occur in the mortar joints where they are more easily repaired.

Regards,

Dave Woodham

Atkinson-Noland & Assoc.