Compressive membrane action

Hi!
I read some papers about CMA in the slab,
 which say CMA increases flexural strength of deck slab significantly.
So, some DOTs have adopted 'isotropic bridge deck design method' and
saved deck rebars a lot.

If this action affects slab design, why doesn't it affect girder and
beam design also?
I have never heard some flexural reinforcements
 can be saved for arching action in beam design?

Can you explain my question?

-wontae

****Wontae Kim****
Unistress Corp.