RE: DMS Signs on Montube Structures

Check with Valmont Tubing, they do monotube structures.  We’ve used them successfully on electrical structures.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:35 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: DMS Signs on Montube Structures

Does anyone have any experience to relate on the performance of monotube sign structures supporting Dynamic Message Signs (also known as Variable Message Signs)?

By "monotube", I mean a single circular column with a single circular horizontal member, all of equal diameter.  The structures can be either cantilever (1 column) or span (2 columns).  I'm thinking of DMS's that weigh approximately 4000 lbs and are approximately 25' x 8' x 4'.  For the span structures, the span would probably be around 90 feet.

I've done several truss style sign structures for DMS's and I'm familiar with the literature regarding fatigue, wind uplift, etc..  I'm looking for input specifically on monotubes, particularly personal experiences on whether they have performed well or not.

If you prefer, you can contact me privately.

David Finley

M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.

2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111

Lake City, FL  32025