From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: STEEL: Stainless Steel for Structural Applications

On Apr 6, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Polhemus, Bill wrote:

> 1) How do you design using 304/316 stainless structural members in the

> U.S.?
Actually there's not much in the way of hot rolled structural members
around. There isn't a whole lot of difference between annealed 304 and
316 stainless and carbon steel, except that stainless doesn't exhibit
elastic-plastic behavior. The yield point is taken as the 0.2% offset
and for 304 the minimum specified yield is 30 ksi. There's enough slack
in this figure so the non-linearities don't make a lot of difference.
The elastic modulus (28E6 psi) is a little less than carbon steel but
the actual difference gets lost in the white noise. Hot rolled
stainless doesn't lose strength when it's welded like cold formed
stainless, so that part is simpler. Stainless has a higher CTE than
carbon steel so weld distortion is sometimes a problem. There are
plenty of stainless fastener specifications, so that isn't a problem,
but you neex to be careful about choosing a proper grade to avoid
galling.

A lot of stainless steel is used in nuclear plants and there's no
particular difference in the ASME Code design rules for stainless and
carbon steel. Both are pretty much identical to the ASD rules for
carbon steel.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/