Re: Business License

Thanks Gerard and David, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Topete" <davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Business License

Paul,
I believe it was a post from Dennis Wish (<--  hope
he's doing well...) from Dec. 15th.  i saved it just
in case.  Here it is with a link to his
structuralist.net tinyurl link to the court
decision...:
----------
I received a private e-mail about a post I referenced
a couple of years ago when some cities attempted to
make engineers and architects purchase a business
license in the location where they did not have a
physical presence. This issue surfaced again as this
engineer is being told that he must purchase the
"special fee license" because he performs Structural
Observation in the city of Santa Monica. Personally, I
think this is a last ditch effort for cities to
overcome their financial problems by attempting to
gain additional cash flow from the business community.

The lower court decision and the appeals court
overruling decision is posted on our Structuralist.Net
Professional Blog! @ http://tinyurl.com/48lef .

If you are having trouble over this reoccurring issue
then I would recommend you read the appeals court
decision in the case of City of San Jose v. Ruthroff,
Englekirk, Etc. Engineers, Inc. 1 Cal. App.3d 462; 183
Cal.Rptr. 391. Again, follow the "tinyurl" link above
to the direct Blog page where the complete decision
has been posted.

If there is any justification for what Santa Monica
and a couple of other cities that I have heard about
are doing, please let me know and I will add a posting
under our Professional Ethics & Law  Blog! (web log)
on the Structuralist.Net.

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net
-----------
David Topete, S.E.
SF, CA

--- Paul Feather <pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net> wrote:
A while back someone posted a Board statement or
Legislative statement in California regarding the
requirement for design professionals needing a
business license in each city where a project is
located (i.e. not needed)

Does anyone have the reference handy?

Thanks,

Paul Feather PE, SE