Retaining Wall Surcharge

Dmitri/Eric,

You can get the various types of surcharge loadings on your wall from the Tri-Forces manual DM 7.02, "Foundations and Earth Structures" or the Army's TM-5-818-1.

These are free downloads.  Try one of the following sites:

http://synectics.net/resources

http://www.navfac.navy.mil/docs.htm

http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/armytm

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/Americas/ABS on 04/07/2005 07:08 AM -----
"Dmitri Wright" <dmitri(--nospam--at)pciengineers.com>

04/07/2005 06:47 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Retaining Wall Surcharge

List members,

Can someone recommend a reference that addresses the loads on a retaining
wall from a strip surcharge on the backfill?  All my references mention it,
but none of them give a workable solution or present a solved example for
this case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Portland, OR

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/Americas/ABS on 04/07/2005 07:08 AM -----
"Eric Ober" <eober(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com>

04/07/2005 06:59 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Retaining/Basement Wall Surcharge

This question relates to live load surcharge behind a deep basement (four stories below grade).  We have a fire truck live loading criterion adjacent to the basement wall.  For this load condition, we normally treat the fire truck as an equivalent uniform load of 250 psf.  In basement wall design, the geotechs will normally provide a coefficient which converts the uniform surcharge load into an equivalent uniform horizontal load against the back of the wall.  For our case, where the basement is 40 ft to 50 ft deep, this seems overly conservative for the lowest wall levels, where the surcharge pressure must have dissipated significantly.  Is anyone aware of a published reference which provides some information related to this issue?

Thanks.

Eric

Eric R. Ober, P.E., S.E.

Associate