From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Evaluate drafters' reliability

On Apr 7, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Wontae Kim wrote:

> Is there any method how to evaluate drafting reliability?
> How can I quantify drafters' reliability?
The method is called leadership. You have to know the job yourself. If
you can't do the work or don't understand it, you can't supervise
people who do. You let people know you expect quality work and you live
up to your standards. You don't need to micro-manage every detail, but
you need to know enough about the work to know where the trouble spots
are and how to recognize poor quality work when you see it.

You get to know your people, not necessarily a deep personal
relationship, but enough to know their likes and dislikes and strengths
and weaknesses. When you give someone work, you make sure that the
drafter can handle it, by going over your expectations face to face.
Look for signals that he understands what you want and can has the
skills to do the job. If you know the guy, you can tell when he's
nodding his head, 'Yes, I can handle it,' but he's thinking, 'I have no
idea.' Pay attention to what your drafters are doing, and look for
signs that someone's floundering. If the guy is constantly on the web
peppering Pipingdesign.com with ignorant questions, find someone else
to do the work.

Make sure you know that you expect the honest truth when you ask a
question. Then create an atmosphere where your people aren't afraid to
tell you the truth, even if it's something you don't want to hear.
Don't be a complete jerk, but don't put up with alibis and excuses or
any form of dishonesty. Everyone screws up--if you sack someone every
time he makes a mistake, pretty soon people won't admit mistakes until
it's too late to do anything about it, and you'll spend all your time
hiring and firing. You can afford to be a little patient with the
unskilled at first, but only to the point where it's cheaper to hire
someone who knows what he's doing than to instruct a newbie.

Cultivate your skilled people. The less supervision someone takes, the
more time you'll have to do your job, and the less you'll have to worry
about mistakes.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/