RE: Evaluate drafters' reliability

Gang:

Please feel free to add my alma matter, Purdue, to that list...

There, Cad is a VERY low priority in the Civil/Structural department.

Every year, for some stupid reason, I try and recruit kids from there for
both
Full time and internship programs...

Most of them have NO cad experience WHATSOEVER!

Boy, they sure can write a finite element analysis subroutine in Fortran
though!

A lot of *&^%$##(--nospam--at)$^%&* good THAT does me...!

Every year, I try and get my point across to the powers that be down in West
LaFayette that in order to make their grads more marketable, they NEED TO
LEARN CAD!

That goes even for working for firms with draftsmen...!

Maybe in lieu of a foreign language, they might try a semester of CAD...

What response do I get?

Zero...zip.

As Mr. Wright so eloquently pointed out, if you don't know HOW to do a job,
how can you supervise it?

The really funny thing about the whole issue is that Purdue was that way
about
HAND DRAFTING in the 80s!!!!!

I was the only one in my group who even knew how to draft (yes, with a t -
square!) in my senior Design studio!

Where did I learn?

Well, I took graphics/drafting courses all through high school so I had a
bit of a
Head start but when I got to college, I had to make a special request to
take additional drafting classes through the architectural department as the
CE department offered nothing.

Pathetic.

It's a whole mentality that hasn't seemed to change over the course of many
years.

The football team IS better, though...I have to admit.

David L. Fisher SE PE
Fisher + partners
372 West Ontario
Chicago 60610