Re: Seismic Joint at foundation

We did a lot of earthquake damage assessment, design, upgrades, and repair after the Northridge earthquake.   We worked for several years on structural damage.  I did not see any evidence of foundations slipping on top of the dirt.

Bob:
I did see several houses, mainly newer ones with damage from the slab sliding relative to the footings.  This occurred on almost all houses where the contractor decided to use  a two pour system for the slab and foundation. The contractor installed 1/2" anchor bolts stabbed into the first pour (foundation) and then later placed the slab. Therefore; 1/2" anchor bolts are used for shear transfer to the footings.  But ..........the inspector said it was OK was the typical response.  Hilti sold a lot of Cy-150 adhesive.