RE: STEEL: Stainless Steel for Structural Applications

Title: STEEL: Stainless Steel for Structural Applications

Bill,

The difference between 304 and 304L, or 316 and 316L, as far as the structural designer is concerned, is that the “L” designates an alloy that is more weldable – the “L” alloy has less carbon.

Yes, bite the bullet.  If you are going to design a structure in stainless steel, you need to really get into it.  You need to learn for yourself the subtle difference between carbon steel and stainless that will affect your notes and specifications, as well as the welding details you design.

I found that the fabricators and welding inspectors available for stainless steel are limited.  There are small shops that may have plasma cutters and TIG-welding equipment, but they are not set up to provide the quality control assurances that you will want.  Find a good structural stainless steel fabricator, let him know about your project, and you may find that he can get you some of the manuals that you would otherwise need to pay for.  I doubt that that will be true of AWS D1.6.

Nels Roselund, SE

South San Gabriel, CA

njineer(--nospam--at)att.net