From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:43 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Evaluate drafters' reliability

I have comments on two levels:

First, I do not believe in having the engineers do their own drafting.  With

quality drafting staff treated like the contributing professionals they are
rather than human xerox copiers, we are more efficient.  Engineers using CAD

as a supplemental tool is a normal part of the day, and often their efforts
can be incorporated into the final drawing set, but this is not the norm.

With regard to what percentage of time is actual engineering, I strongly
believe detailing and coordination IS engineering and would not classify
them as "non-engineering" tasks.  Contract administration, insurance and
legal issues, employee issues, selecting hardware and software upgrades, all

the usual things associated with running a business are non-engineering
tasks; but detailing and coordinating your work is not only engineering it
may be the most critical aspect of your work.