RE: Evaluate drafters' reliability

I agree with Bill Allen. Dave L made some excellent posts. What people need
to remember is the structural draftsman is a dying breed. Anyone who has any
skill with a computer who doesn't want to go to college will not choose
structural drafting as a profession long term. Something more lucrative with
more long term potential will be chosen.

This is the reality of structural drafting: Low pay, easily outsourced, most
of their co-workers are probably stiffs, no future of advancement, no one
good to learn from, not respected, boring job. The only good young
draftspersons I have come across who aren't engineers, have been former
construction workers who suffered an injury and can no longer work in the
field.

My belief is that many people went into drafting in the past because it
required real talent. You needed to be artistic. I have absolutely zero
drawing ability, but I think my drawings are pretty damn good. It's only
because I can have a computer draw the line straight for me and know
lineweights that I can make them pretty good looking drawings. Now, someone
who can draw good and have some computer talent will become a computer
animator and go to art college and make way more money and have some fun
while working.

I worked with a few old-timer types. One in particular when I worked in SF
for a firm that did large buildings, was worth 4 engineers. I could just
verbally tell him something and he would get it right exactly every time.

I can lay out a building faster in cad than on paper. Maybe, I;m the
exception, but I can draw and sketch faster with the computer. So why not
just finish the job right myself. Or I could spend 3 years training someone
from a cad school and go insane.

-gm