Concrete slab construction

I am looking for some suggestions in how to handle the following situation. I received a fax from the architect stating that the owner's representative observed the slab on grade for a pharmacy was 3" thick in some locations. The structural drawings called for a 4" thick slab with WWF reinforcement on compacted structural fill in accordance with the geotechnical report. The slab was formed some time ago (they are beginning interior finish work on the store) and now I find out about this. The general contractor now wants me to sign off on it. My question is "Is there some way to determine whether the 3" slab is acceptable without ripping it out ?

Thanks for any help in trying to resolve this situation.

Domenic DeAngelo