Re: Tongue and Groove Cedar Siding

Molly,

Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania I always thought barns were supposed to be a bit swaybacked and leaning--that added to their appeal. Well, maybe not if it's a "recreation building."

Since timber barns often had diagonal sway bracing, perhaps you could retrofit either sway bracing or larger diagonal braces within the existing timber wall frames to provide lateral strength. Certainly either would be more in tune with the aesthetic of a barn than would steel straps all over the place.

In any case I would *not* count on the moment couple of pairs of screws in 4" wide boards to brace such a building. A few months or years, or one significant
STORM, is likely to knock the building down *again*.

Maybe if this were a real agricultural buildling full of hay to cushion the blow (of collapse) that might be acceptable, but what would the owner say if the building collapsed on his family?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA