Re: Concrete slab construction

Stay away from this. It will come back to bite you.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:30:28 EDT Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
I'll bet he does!  Who wouldn't want someone else to take responsibility for his mistake?  So you've got a slab with around half the bending strength specified, one that's much more likely to crack and settle, one that no one is going to be very happy with down the road IMHO.  Why should you be the fall guy?  It isn't a structural safety issue, is it?  Is there any code requirement that would demand that it be replaced--probably not.  Doesn't it boil down to 1) who pays to correct it if it is corrected, and 2) who benefits if it is or isn't repaired?  Sounds like something for the owner and the contractor to discuss between themselves, with you staying as far away as possible!  Now, if it were a main beam that was built 25% too shallow that would be quite another issue.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA