How to quantify a British Humourist's reliability

Christopher Wright wrote:

On Apr 9, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

I have another "simple question": How can I achieve world peace? (Maybe the answer isn't as simple as the question. :)

I just remembered--the answer is 42. That's the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. So there you go.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

For years I heard how great a book "The Hitchhiker's Guide..." was. Never got around to reading it in all that time.

However, I had read the novel version of "Red Dwarf" which was similar to THGTTG in that it started out as a script (HG was on radio; RD was on TV). "Red Dwarf," the novel, was hilarious.

And then I REALLY got into Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series of novels, similar to both the above in that they are examples of outrageously funny Brit humour (spelling purposeful) set in a universe of magic and mayhem. I have read about twenty of those and enjoyed every single one.

So finally, noticing a paperback edition of THGTTG at "Wal-Mart" one day (tied to the soon-to-be-released film), I bought it.

So far, I'm through about a third of it and I'm still waiting for the light to come on, the realization of why so many people think it's so great. It must be me. It's kind of predictable, like Adams was sitting around thinking "what's something really silly I can say here?" and then writing the first thing that came to mind.

I was expecting something more like Pratchett or Monty Python. Instead, it reads like someone who was trying (and failing) to write in the style of Vonnegut.

I apologize for my failure, but I just can't get interested in the book.