RE: Expansive Soil

My understanding is that the last procedure (Item 3) is to be performed only on the soil fraction passing sieve No. 200.

-----Original Message-----
From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 5:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Expansive Soil

Per IBC Section 1802.3.2.

Soils are considered expansive if:

· They have a Plasticity Index (PI) of 15 or greater, determined in accordance with ASTM D 4318.
· More than 10 percent of the soil particles pass a No. 200 (75 µ) sieve, determined in accordance with ASTM D 422.
· More than 10 percent of the soil particles are less than 5 micrometers in size, determined in accordance with ASTM D 422.

These last two requirements don't seem to make sense.  If more than 10% of the particles are smaller than 5 micrometers (5 microns),  obviously more than 10% are smaller than the No. 200 sieve (75 microns).

It is different tests - the test for the 5 micron size is done with a hydrometer,  but it still doesn't seem to make sense.

Is there more to this?  I would assume it came from the UBC,  since a lot of the soils stuff in the IBC seems to have come from the UBC.

Gail Kelley