Re: Residential Deck Live Load

Under item 27, I am not sure why the Code would state the load of 40 psf for all other areas except balconies and decks unless the intent is for decks and balconies to have a different load but I would agree that the code is rather ambiguous about it. I would always use 60 psf and note it on the drawings.

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 4:16 PM
Subject: Residential Deck Live Load

Per IBC 2000, what is the proper live load to use for a residential (house) exterior deck?

Table 1607.1 Item 6 says "Same as occupancy served".

Table 1607.1 Item 27 says use 40 psf for all other areas except balconies and decks.

I would tend to design for 60 psf but list 40 psf on the plan.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave Smith
Smith Associates