From: Abe Knapp <AKNAPP(--nospam--at)state.wy.us>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:33:41 -0600
Subject: Re: Residential Deck Live Load

I just completed one a few months ago.  This is very unnusual---the client wanted the deck designed for 100 psf as he was planning to have big partys.

Abe Knapp, P.E.
Casper, Wyoming

>>> smith1129(--nospam--at)charter.net 4/11/2005 2:16:08 PM >>>
Per IBC 2000, what is the proper live load to use for a residential (house) exterior deck?

Table 1607.1 Item 6 says "Same as occupancy served".

Table 1607.1 Item 27 says use 40 psf for all other areas except balconies and decks.

I would tend to design for 60 psf but list 40 psf on the plan.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave Smith
Smith Associates