Re: Insurance on Base Isolated Structures

Harold,

I would check with these two base isolation system manufacturers:

Dynamic Isolation Systems (DIS) (Rubber/lead core bearings):

Earthquake Protection Systems (Friction Pendulum bearings),

They have been involved in the most building and bridge projects in the United States I believe.  I have been involved with one base isolation project in the early 1990's, and at that time I don't believe the building owner got any insurance discount.

I don't believe the insurance industry is currently giving insurance discounts for base isolated buildings, simply because they don't have a large enough actuarial data base about the performance of base isolated buildings during actual earthquakes to work from.  There just aren't that many base isolated structures in the United States (new or retrofitted), let alone those that have actually been through a moderate or significant earthquake.

Michael Cochran