Re: Residential Engineering Text Recommendations?

well said, I would add James Ambrose book, 'Simplified Building Foundations'.  It is pretty straightforward, introduces you to basic soils, the reactions, and assumptions you pretty much need to make to deal with building departments.

When he said a good set of plans, that includes truss calcs (usually by others), and all the wonderful framing details that holds things together.  Learn to rely on other professionals, listen to manufacturer's reps, but remember they are selling something.

John Turner, CE, EE, LS
California Living & Energy

look at our web page at   www.califliving.com

Jake Watson wrote:

If I was starting from scratch, I would want three books. To start, give me
a book from Breyer and a copy of the Architectural Graphics Standards.

There are two versions of Breyer's book available.  He wrote one himself and
is co-author of a second (pick one, you don't need both).  Breyer's book
will teach you the basics of wood design and the AIA book will show you how
all the pieces fit.  The AIA book is quite pricey, but very useful for
understanding basic framing methods.  It also includes a great many
"standard" framing details.

Lastly, get a Simpson Strong Tie catalogue.  They are free off the internet.
Once you get it you will understand.

Once you have the books, ask a friend for a good set of house plans as a
reference.  There is much more to residential than meets the eye.

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. Search the archives, this has come up many times.