engineering - drafting [was Evaluate drafters' reliability]

Dave,
I minimize "my" drafting time. I don't do the drafting. I had more
drafting training coming out of high school than most engineers get in
their careers. I may sketch by hand, or even provide difficult details
in CAD. The rest of the work is not cost efficient for me to perform -
putting lines on "paper", filling title blocks, setting up backgrounds,
making everything fit on a sheet, keeping up to date on the latest CAD
technology.

A recent development project; the consultant invoiced ~$18,000 of which
about ~$5000 was for engineering vs technologist - primarily drafting. I
consider this to be a good range of functional mix.

Drafting is a good training tool for the first couple years but it is
not engineering. I have advised newly minted engineers to avoid taking
the job where they are the only draftsperson in the office. They will
not get drafting training and they will be too valuable as a highly
knowledgeable draftsperson to be developed as an engineer in that
company.

Regards
Paul Ransom

--