RE: Expansive Soils

Now thats what I call maintaining the mystical aspect of the artistic science of subsurface conditions.

Arvel
-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:49 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Expansive Soils

Arvel L. Williams, P.E. wrote:
Jordan,

That's slick and I like her attitude.  Who does she work for?

Arvel
Herself. She has a 1 to 3 person soil science operation called SoilWorks in Newport, Virginia. I say one to three because there is only a small amount of work in this area, and it can come in waves.  I've known her to do "divining" as well, though when you get her in private, she admits it's just a walking stick she likes carrying into the field. Prior to any water finding expedition, she studies the known aquifers, topography, and subsurface data in the area. In s/w Virginia, we have what's known as karst, and things can be pretty crazy...but there are lots of underground maps of the caves and features therein. A dye sample placed near an aquifer near my old house turned up 10 miles away in a local branch that feeds the New River...in just three days.

She also admits there;s a good deal of luck involved, but she helped my neighbor get "lucky" on his second well. The first went down 900 feet (400 cased) and ended up just hitting a big mud seam. Around here, that's a useless  $10,000 hole in the ground.  She recommended an area on the opposite side of the property and, though he had to go down just a hair over 1000feet, there was so much pressure that he had to have a pressure cap on the well and he has about 100' of head above the well location, which sits about 175 feet below his house. Better yet, he only had to case about 20-30 feet before he was in solid limestone. The driller said he couldn't measure above 80gpm, so he guessed it was somewhere in the 100-110gpm range. By comparison, everyone else on my ridge had wells from 550-850 feet deep and get 5 to 6 gpm.  She told me they were lucky - she figured that if they didn't hit there, they wasn't anywhere else on the 12 acres that looked promising from the data she had.

Jordan