Re: Top plate splices

In a message dated 04/13/05 4:00:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Gary.Grinstead(--nospam--at)ci.stockton.ca.us writes:
I'm requesting people's opinion on the location of top plate
collector/drag splices.

I always detailed my splice straps on top of the upper plate.  Mainly
because that's how my old-school boss detailed his splices.  If for any
reason they could not be on top, we always placed a strap on each side
of the top plate to keep a concentric condition.  As long as the strap
wasn't unusually thick, I never got much flack from the contractor.

Now that I'm working as a plancheck engineer, I see a lot of splice
straps on only one side of the top plates.  When I raise a question
about the eccentricity, I'll ofter receive the respons that "this is an
industry standard and therefore doesn't need to be changed".

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and if you detail single-sided
splices, why you don't feel this is a concern.
Before you have commented on the eccentricity, you should have found out first what is the stress contributed by this eccentricity.  Sometimes plan checkers, just to satisfy their ignorance, try to make a mountain out of a molehill.  Let's assume that the load is a drag load = 4800 lbs. then due to the eccentricity, the moment will be 4800x1.75 = 8400 in-lbs.
the bending stress will be fb=8400x6/(2x1.5x3.5^2) =1371 psi < 1688 psi (adequate). That's the way I see it. If I'm missing something, hope somebody will point me to the right direction.

ASQuilala