RE: Bridge Terminology

Depends on whether it's steel or concrete.

For Concrete Prestress Beams

Parallel to roadway - Beams or stringers

Metal -
If its and extruded section - Beam or stringer
If its constructed from plates welded in the shop - girder or plate girder
or stringer

Both types
Diaphragms connect the stringers together laterally.

Abutments are at the ends of the bridge and usually made of retained earth
Piers are interior foundations there are four basic types:
Hammerhead (interior bearing that looks like a hammer from the side)
Solid Wall (As above only without a reduced section)
Column Bent(individual columns that support from the pier/pile cap to the
bearing cap)
Pile Bent (usually at abutments is cast around driven piles)

Tonais is ok as a general reference, but each DOT and region has a slightly
different terminology on the bridge components.  In Oklahoma we typically
use beams and girders as our operative terms.  AASHTO of FHWA would be
considered a more accurate reference.  Try searing their site for a
reference document.

Arvel