From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 2:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: bolt end distance in timber

This question is going through the office.  If you have a timber truss and the top chord extends over and past the bottom chord at the heel then the end of the bottom chord has a sloped end that matches the roof pitch.  If you have one line of bolts at the bottom (tension) chord and they are placed along the member center line, where is the “7 bolt diameter” requirement measured from.  Would it be from the center line of the bolts to the intersection of the sloped end and the center line?  Or would it be from the top of the bolt diameter to the sloped end or from the intersection of the top edge and the sloped end (seems conservative)?  All three of these alternatives have been suggested.  I tend to agree with one of the first two alternatives.

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.