RE: bolt end distance in timber

I agree with you, although in the past I (like Charlie) try to get as conservative as I can without increasing the “ridiculous factor” too much.  In this case, it is actually a truss retrofit where some connections need to be strengthened, therefore there are some other concerns.

Also, while we are discussing bolted tension members, are any of you using Appendix E of the 2001 NDS for “row tear out”?  It says “non-mandatory”, and it can increase bolt spacing or the number of bolts over a traditional design from previous codes.

Thanks again!

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.