Re: Top plate splices

ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Before you have commented on the eccentricity, you should have found out first what is the stress contributed by this eccentricity.  Sometimes plan checkers, just to satisfy their ignorance, try to make a mountain out of a molehill.  Let's assume that the load is a drag load = 4800 lbs. then due to the eccentricity, the moment will be 4800x1.75 = 8400 in-lbs.
the bending stress will be fb=8400/(6x2x1.5x3.5^2) =38 psi <<< say 1200 psi (very adequate). That's the way I see it. If I'm missing something, hope somebody will point me to the right direction.

ASQuilala

What you are missing is your real name :)

Suresh Acharya, S.E.
Richmond, CA