Lead Based Paint

If anyone has knowledge regarding welding to a structure that is coated with
lead based paint I'd be interested in their comments.  Specifically, is it
allowed and if so, what are the limitations, recommended practices, etc.
This is a bridge structure of unknown construction date (carbon steel is the
only information we have on material).  The bridge is of riveted
construction and needs some repairs.  The client is not interested in
removing and repainting the pealing LBP.  Thanks for any help or guidance.
Candi Anderson, P.E.

Candi Anderson, P.E.
Associate/Chief Engineer
Mercado Consultants, Inc.
17830 New Hampshire Ave.* #200
Ashton, Md 20861
Office: 301-260-0090;* FAX: 301-260-0018