RE: bolt end distance in timber

Title: RE: bolt end distance in timber

Yes, Bill, I am enjoying this thread.

Joe, while Appendix E says "non-mandatory," NDS(r) Section 10.1.2 states that you need to check local stresses in fasteners, and one method to do that is Appendix E.

Wrt end distance for the case you mention, I would agree with Bill that you want to measure this along the centerline of the bolts to "daylight."

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

*********************
The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.

*********************

I agree with you, although in the past I (like Charlie) try to get as
conservative as I can without increasing the "ridiculous factor" too =
much.
In this case, it is actually a truss retrofit where some connections =
need to
be strengthened, therefore there are some other concerns.=20
=20
Also, while we are discussing bolted tension members, are any of you =
using
Appendix E of the 2001 NDS for "row tear out"? It says "non-mandatory", =
and
it can increase bolt spacing or the number of bolts over a traditional
design from previous codes.
=20
Thanks again!
Joe Grill