From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Lead Based Paint

Candi,

I am not familiar with the bridge welding code but almost all other AWS
welding codes require that you remove any paint (or any other coatings,
rust, etc.) prior to welding.  With that said, you will probably still have
to have a company who specialized in hazardous material (i.e. your lead
paint) removal.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Candi Anderson" <canderson(--nospam--at)mercadoeng.com>
04/15/2005 09:56 AM Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

To<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
SubjectLead Based Paint

If anyone has knowledge regarding welding to a structure that is coated with
lead based paint I'd be interested in their comments.  Specifically, is it
allowed and if so, what are the limitations, recommended practices, etc.
This is a bridge structure of unknown construction date (carbon steel is the
only information we have on material).  The bridge is of riveted
construction and needs some repairs.  The client is not interested in
removing and repainting the pealing LBP.  Thanks for any help or guidance.
Candi Anderson, P.E.

Candi Anderson, P.E.
Associate/Chief Engineer
Mercado Consultants, Inc.
17830 New Hampshire Ave.* #200
Ashton, Md 20861
Office: 301-260-0090;* FAX: 301-260-0018

[attachment "winmail.dat" deleted by Tom Hunt/Americas/ABS]