Re: A7 steel

Candi,

Almost any steel CAN be welded, you just need an appropriate welding procedure.  Since A7 probably does not fall within the list of acceptable steels in the welding code then you would need to develop a welding procedure qualified by testing.  In AWS D1.1 for structural welding this is done using a Procedure Qualification Record (PQR).

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Candi Anderson" <canderson(--nospam--at)mercadoeng.com>

04/15/2005 11:02 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
A7 steel

I'm past the LBP problem and move on to my next consideration: Can one weld
to A7 steel?  I read that the carbon and manganese content can sometimes
present welding problems and hence the development of A373 and then A36.  If
the connection is too small/tight to accommodate bolting, is welding an
option on this material?

Candi Anderson, P.E.
Associate/Chief Engineer
Mercado Consultants, Inc.
17830 New Hampshire Ave.* #200
Ashton, Md 20861
Office: 301-260-0090;* FAX: 301-260-0018

[attachment "winmail.dat" deleted by Tom Hunt/Americas/ABS]