RE: A7 steel

This is becoming an interesting discussion.  I have a copy of ASTM A7-46
(I love these old books!), which provides a carbon content of 0.2 -
0.35% for "rolled base plates over 2 inches in thickness for bearing
purposes" and gives chemical compositions for phosphorous, sulfur &
copper, but that's about it (unless I'm missing something). Section 14
simply states "All welding shall be done by qualified welders using
suitable coated welding rods ... The welds shall be sound."  Under the
"technical provisions" of AISC Steel Construction Manual, 5th Edition
(1950), it states: "Arc-welding electrodes shall conform to the
requirements of the Specifications for Iron & Steel Arc-Welding
Electrodes of the AWS ... Electrodes shall be of Classification Numbers
E6010, E6011, E6012, E6013, E6020 or E6030 and shall be suitable for the
positions and other conditions of intended use."  The recommendations
are based on the use of A7 steel.

In "Structural Renovation of Buildings" by Alexander Newman (2001), he
states: "As a rough guide, steel made prior to 1923 should be tested for
weldability. Weldability of steel produced between 1923 - 1936 is
generally good, and steel after 1936 is normally weldable."  He
qualifies this by reminding the reader that A7 allows for a wider range
of chemical composition than the later A36 steel.

Interesting ...

Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
Tulare, CA
E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com