Re: Is this a Structural Observation or an Inspection?

The city's plan checkers, building inspectors, etc. all enjoy "sovereign immunity". You can't sue the King (dates back to the Magna Carta IIRC).  The building inspector is never "hanging out there" (unless he's taken a bribe). If you've ever done much forensic work you would realize how little quality control you get from the city inspections.

 IMO the best way to get the structure you want is to do structural observation. Here in Marin Co. most jurisdictions are pretty good about requiring it. (The county inspectors typically won't schedule their "inspections" until they receive a FAX from the EOR notifying them that he is satisfied--usually for rebar & hardware, epoxy mounted hardware. diaphragm nailing, LFRS, & structural framing.. Plus special inspections for welding, high strength concrete, etc.)

My contract & G/N both require (& explain) it, & now most plan checkers are asking for another separate set of  notes on the face of the drawing restating the requirements. (And it still doesn't always happen.)
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:

Bill –

If I had a situation as described by Gary, I would immediately issue an amended Structural Observation report which would include the actions of the building inspector.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588