Re: STAINLESS STEEL: Appropriate Material Selection for Industrial Waste Treatment Structures

On Apr 20, 2005, at 8:08 AM, Polhemus, Bill wrote:

If you've got "industrial wastewater processing," what is the proper SS material to specify?
Industrial wastewater covers a multitude of evils. You really need to know what's in the water. Chlorides and sulphides really do a number on ordinary grades of stainless, but the stuff like oxidizing acids won't touch it. Depends a lot on the stress levels and fab processes, too. The Nickel Institute <http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/45.htm> probably has a lot of the best literature on stainless steel--I filled out my collection probably about the same time Harold did, when it was all offered by Inco. carpenter Technology also has lots of good material on stainless. If this is going to be an expensive piece of work, you might want to talk to a metallurgist with experience in corrosion in austenitic stainless. It can be a very weird and wonderful thing.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/