From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 11:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Grain slope in wood beams

What are the limiting requirements on allowable grain
slope in wood beams?  Are there strength reduction
factors to account for excessive grain slope, or is it
a fixed limit without exception.

FWIW, I am reporting on a 3x12 Ekki beam (Fb = 3750)
that cracked right along the grain line at
approximately 1:4.  The original specifier set a limit
of 1:10.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudbsurg, PA