From: Charley Hamilton [mailto:chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 11:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Single or Double angle bending member

Joe -

When you say "toe to toe", do you mean configured like a channel?
Why not use a channel then?  From your description, I see a
"channel-with-a-gap" header carrying a chunk of masonry wall above
it.  Is this the correct picture?  Is a standard channel just too
wide, then?

The biggest issue with treating a pair of angles like a "double angle"
is in relation to whether or not the angles will act as a unit,
especially regarding buckling (either flexural or compressive).

Things to consider:
1) How are the two angles tied together?
2) Are the ties frequent enough to cause the members to act as
	a unit?
3) What failure modes can occur that might negate the "double angle"
	assumption?

Sounds like an interesting problem.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               PGR and Lecturer