Re: Single or Double angle bending member

Will Haynes wrote:

I think it is a single angle problem. The angles can't buckle in lateral torsional mode together like they can in a back-to-back double angle section. How does one angle know there is another angle on the other side of the wall?

I see these angles a lot in cmu walls, with the tips of the angles facing each other. A guy told me the following method before and I suspect this is probably what a lot of engineers use. You figure out the section modulus of only the vertical legs of the angles, add these together, then limit the stress to 0.6 Fy based on this section modulus only. I don't know how accurate this technique actually is, probably not very.

Why, when angle bending according to the AISC Spec is pretty straightforward?