Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: 70%-30% Bracing Load Distribution

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Bill/ James,
Could I arbitrarily assign 70% to the tension brace and 30% to the comp brace? This way my members would be smaller. Or assignment should be based on the stiffness of the braces? 
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott, William N. <William.Scott(--nospam--at)>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)' <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:18:27 -0800
Subject: RE: 70%-30% Bracing Load Distribution

You should design the bracing for 100 % tensile capacity assuming buckling of the compression brace.
-----Original Message-----
From: raincat1(--nospam--at) [mailto:raincat1(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: 70%-30% Bracing Load Distribution

In AISC Seismic-02, 13.2c, up to 70% of the lateral seismic force could be resisted by tension braces.
Does this mean that if I have an X-Bracing I could assign one brace to resist 70% (tension) and the other brace to resist 30% (compression)? I will not get the 70-30 distribution by using Staad which will
have 50-50 distribution assuming the brace members are the same.
Rainier C. Catubig, S.E.
San Diego, California