Pile Ties

I am designing a pile foundation which is required due to the site having potentially consolidating soils at about a 5 to 10 foot depth in the event of a major earthquake, (South. Calif.). The soils engineer has given me the lateral resistance of the soils for individual piles based on the program "LPILEPLUS." The pile head is assumed fixed against rotation, (i.e. a grade beam at the top), for the program output. Given this information, I can determine the allowable lateral force at the top of the piles, (to resist earthquake forces).

The BIG question is: Does this pile and grade beam foundation system have to be designed as a ductile moment resisting frame- i.e. per section 1921.4 of the '97 UBC?? If so, the cost will be prohibitive- so I am hoping someone can give me an explanation as to why it does not.

My second question is: How is formula 21-2 of the '97 UBC interpreted? It is a simple formula, but when you get a p-s of 0.008 for the materials used, and a core area of 227 in. sq. for a 24" diam. pile, how is this converted into a tie spacing?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer SE