[Off Topic] Dennis, Gail, and Others

Dennis:

You misspelled bankruptcy!  Unfamiliarity with that term is probably a
good thing.  However, sending a reply to Gail Kelley with a spelling
error in it is like dangling a banana in front of a gorilla.

On a more serious note, I led you and many others to adopt AVG as your
primary virus defense a long time ago.  I use it myself, on my home PC.
Last Friday, that PC crashed and I spent most of the weekend trying to
get it to boot back up.  Yesterday, the IT gurus at the office suggested
that the PC probably had a virus despite AVG.  They suggested that I do
a free online scan at:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principa
l.htm

I had Panda scan every file and it took several hours, but it did find
and destroy a virus [trj/downloader.BOG, first discovered 03/30/05,
serious threat].  Today, I still find no mention of that virus in the
AVG virus encyclopedia.  Panda also found spyware not detected an hour
before by Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.  AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot are all
freeware.  Lesson:  You get what you pay for!

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

TOMORROW: One of the greatest labor saving devices of today.

Gail,
While I agree that these issues seem off topic, the fact is that many of

us are in private practice and the engineering business is more than
technical questions. Some of us are sole-providers for our families and
as such are faced with the problems of obtaining affordable healthcare,
decent education, social security issues and even topics such as
bankruptsy. If this is simply a tech support for engineers then you have

a valid argument, however, many of us consider engineering our business
as well as our science. As such - I believe this is an opportune place
to discuss the issues.

As I've been reminded many times - we do have either the scroll down or
up key for those on digest or the delete key for those who are receiving

posts.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE