Re: [Off Topic] Dennis, Gail, and Others

> From: "Caldwell, Stan" <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com>

> get it to boot back up.  Yesterday, the IT gurus at the office suggested
> that the PC probably had a virus despite AVG.  They suggested that I do
> a free online scan at:
>
> www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> I had Panda scan every file and it took several hours, but it did find
> and destroy a virus [trj/downloader.BOG, first discovered 03/30/05,
> serious threat].  Today, I still find no mention of that virus in the
> AVG virus encyclopedia.  Panda also found spyware not detected an hour
> before by Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.  AVG, Ad-Aware, and Spybot are all
> freeware.  Lesson:  You get what you pay for!

I first encountered Panda about 2 years ago when discussing with a
customer's IT tech. Subsequently, it was recommended to me by another IT
friend (www.softwarebrat.com) when I bought a PC a few months ago. In
addition to the typical signature based virus scanner, it has a
heuristic based scanner and event blocker that monitors questionable
activity. However, I was also advised to use a secondary ad/spyware
scanner (PCTools Spyware Doctor) because of complementary capabilities
(don't ask me, I guess that I have more money than PC smarts).

Both provide automatic Internet update capabilities - you can set the
frequency. I believe that Panda now uses some outrageous number of virus
signatures (about 90,000?!).

Regards
Paul
--