RE: pointed stem wall under a PEMB?

From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]

> ...does it actually work?

This is the real question. Many involved in the construction of
buildings and their foundations, including engineers, allow themselves
to be dazzled by "slick" ideas that are "proven" by calculation,
description of the mechanism, etc., but which have not actually been
proven in practice. I admit that I have been guilty of this in the past.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the list of ingredients
and a description of the pudding process.

We must remember that much of what we accept as standard practice in
building construction comes not from theoretical principles but from
empirical data, including the behavior of real buildings and their
components as well as deliberate research and experimentation.

In the case you describe, perhaps such a foundation WILL work. But where
is the proof of concept? I am suspicious of any such "assumptions" as
the constructor apparently represented to you. "Sounds good" doesn't cut
the mustard.

Ask to see the ICC-ES test report.