Re: pointed stem wall under a PEMB?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] If you have piers under the columns/main frames, why not build the grade beam with a void below it. If the bottom of the footing is below the frost line, the soil should theoretically never freeze, and the void is just an extra precaution.

bks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Wilson" <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:15 PM
Subject: pointed stem wall under a PEMB?

A contractor explained a detail to me today where the
perimeter stemwall of a PEMB building was shaped with
a pointed bottom at about 18" below grade in an area
with 36" frost depth.  There is no footing under the
stem.  The concept is that the frost heave will not
push on the pointed bottom.

The steel frame still sits on concrete piers with
footings, hairpins, etc.  The stem won't be figured in
the structural load resisting system.

This sounds a little bit clever, but I'm not
convinced.  He claims that he has used it before and
it has been accepted (by the building inspector, the
structural engineer, etc.)

Is there such a detail and does it actually work?  I'm
suspicious, but who knows, maybe I learned something
today...

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

--